Electric Scooters in Queensland are classified as “Rideables” and there are some conditions in terms of where you can ride, how fast and who can ride. Here is a summary of the key ones that we get asked about the most.
Rules for Electric Scooters in Queensland:
- Speed – even though some e-scooters can go faster, the maximum legal speed is 25 km/hr. If you are caught going faster then you risk being fined (anywhere from $130 to $10,000).
- Registration – as long as the electric scooter meets the definition of what is legal (and all the ones we sell at Electric Bikes Brisbane do) then they do not need to be registered. Note that your e scooter also needs to have a working flashing or steady white light on the front, and a red light and reflector at the rear when travelling at night or in hazardous conditions. The e scooters we sell come with this built in though.
- Age limit – you must be at least 16 years of age, or 12 with adult supervision.
- Helmets – you must wear an approved bicycle helmet, that is securely fitted, at all times (unless an exemption has been granted for medical or religious reasons).
- Passengers – you must not carry passengers.
- Where you can and cannot ride - Rideables should be used on paths wherever possible. Riding on local streets is permissible as well (ie. streets where the speed limit 50km/h) however riding on main roads or streets in the Brisbane CBD is not permissible.
We are lucky in Queensland because electric scooters are legal to use in public places. If you are looking to get one and don’t live in Queensland then you should confirm what your local law is before purchasing one.
For more detail on the road rules see the Qld Government website here >>
E Bike or E Scooter - What Is Best For You?
Not sure whether an e bike or an e scooter is the best option for you? You aren’t alone so have a look at the key pros and cons of an e scooter to help you decide. Read more here >>
Electric Scooters for Sale at Electric Bikes Brisbane
See the full range of Electric Scooters for sale at Electric Bikes Brisbane here >>